Skip to content
General Landlording & Rental Properties

User Stats

Votes
Andrew Harrill
Pro Member
  • Temecula, CA
Votes |
Citizens Energy - Navigating a $60k Drainage Dilemma: Permits, Pipes, and Public Road

Andrew Harrill
Pro Member
  • Temecula, CA
Posted Apr 1 2024, 20:18

Hello everyone,

I recently became the owner of a home on Rural Street in Indianapolis, Indiana, and have encountered a significant issue that I hope some of you might have insights on.

When I bought the house, I noticed some water in the basement. It didnā€™t seem like a deal-breaker at the time, especially since the previous owners appeared eager to sell. They disclosed that there was a blockage in the drain and hired a plumber who used a water jet to clear what they claimed were flushable wipes causing the issue. They suggested adding an external cleanout for about $8,000, and we agreed to split the cost by adjusting the homeā€™s price.

However, after installing the cleanout, we discovered that the actual problem was far more severe. The clay drainpipe from our house has collapsed under one of the neighboring homes. Moreover, it turns out our drain connects to the main sewer line six houses away, on another street, at the end of the block.

The only solution provided by Citizens Energy is to reroute our connection to a lateral drain across the street. This requires about seven permits to shut down a four-lane street for over a week, with an estimated cost of $60,000 due to the need to dig 12 feet deep.

Iā€™m reaching out to this community to ask if anyone has faced a similar infrastructure challenge or has experience dealing with such extensive utility work. Any advice on managing this situation, reducing costs, or navigating the permit process would be greatly appreciated. Have you dealt with Citizens Energy or similar situations before? What was your approach, and how did you resolve it?

Thank you in advance for your insights and advice.

Loading replies...