Votes
James Ohliger
  • New to Real Estate
Votes |
Property Management Fees for Mid-Term Rentals

James Ohliger
  • New to Real Estate
Posted Oct 28 2022, 12:56

I'm curious about people's experience with property management fees for mid-term rentals? Typical property management fees for long-term rentals are anywhere between 6-12% of rental income while fees for short-term rentals can range between 20-40% of income. Is it as simple as just finding a middle point between LTR and STR fees for an MTR? Like 10-20%? Or have people found success with other fee structures with their property management for their mid-term rentals? I'm an out-of-state investor so using property management in some fashion is a must.

User Stats

Votes
Conner Olsen
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Austin, TX
Replied Oct 28 2022, 12:58
Quote from @James Ohliger:

I'm curious about people's experience with property management fees for mid-term rentals? Typical property management fees for long-term rentals are anywhere between 6-12% of rental income while fees for short-term rentals can range between 20-40% of income. Is it as simple as just finding a middle point between LTR and STR fees for an MTR? Like 10-20%? Or have people found success with other fee structures with their property management for their mid-term rentals? I'm an out-of-state investor so using property management in some fashion is a must.

I have a property management company for MTR and STR. STR management is 20% and MTR is 15% for us.

User Stats

Votes
Drew Sygit
Property Manager
#2 Managing Your Property Contributor
  • Property Manager
  • Royal Oak, MI
Votes |
Property Manager
#2 Managing Your Property Contributor
  • Property Manager
  • Royal Oak, MI
Replied Oct 29 2022, 10:04

@James Ohliger what an owner is really doing when hiring a PMC is buying their expertise and time.

You can think of expertise cost as a relatively fixed cost. Time would be the biggest variable.

Assuming the same repeatable services will have to be provided for STR & MTR, that are not provided for LTR, the costs may not be that different.
Taking care of lawns, monitoring & paying utilities, taking calls, etc.

Some services will be the same, but vary in frequency: cleanings, resupplying amenities, responding to inquiries, bookings, granting access, etc.
The more frequent the turnover, the more time required and the corresponding higher cost.

There are also market variables, dependent on the property location.

So, you are basically correct with your theory:)

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Allen Duan
Pro Member
#3 Medium-Term Rentals Contributor
  • Property Manager
  • Los Angeles, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Property Manager
  • Los Angeles, CA
Replied Oct 29 2022, 21:41

We manage mid term rentals in Los Angeles and 15% is our typical fee. We do 20-25% for short term rentals so you're on the right track with your thinking. It is much less work than STR since you can have turnovers only once every 1-3 months.

Let me know if you have any other questions :)

User Stats

Votes
Edgar Perez
Pro Member
  • Kenosha, WI
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Kenosha, WI
Replied Feb 22 2023, 17:38
Quote from @Conner Olsen:

I have a property management company for MTR and STR. STR management is 20% and MTR is 15% for us.

At 15% for MTR do you have a leasing/placement fee? What is common in your area for LTR fixed amount or percentage of first month rent? And then what do you do for MidTerm

User Stats

Votes
Edgar Perez
Pro Member
  • Kenosha, WI
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Kenosha, WI
Replied Feb 22 2023, 17:43
Quote from @Allen Duan:

We manage mid term rentals in Los Angeles and 15% is our typical fee. We do 20-25% for short term rentals so you're on the right track with your thinking. It is much less work than STR since you can have turnovers only once every 1-3 months.

Allen same to you: At 15% for MTR do you have a leasing/placement fee? What is common in your area for LTR fixed amount or percentage of first month rent? And then what do you do for MidTerm

User Stats

Votes
Conner Olsen
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Austin, TX
Replied Feb 23 2023, 07:32
Quote from @Edgar Perez:
Quote from @Conner Olsen:

At 15% for MTR do you have a leasing/placement fee? What is common in your area for LTR fixed amount or percentage of first month rent? And then what do you do for MidTerm

No placement fee. LTR is 10% in Austin. We do 15% of rental revenue.

User Stats

Votes
Allen Duan
Pro Member
  • Property Manager
  • Los Angeles, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Property Manager
  • Los Angeles, CA
Replied Feb 23 2023, 09:03
Quote from @Edgar Perez:
Quote from @Allen Duan:

Allen same to you: At 15% for MTR do you have a leasing/placement fee? What is common in your area for LTR fixed amount or percentage of first month rent? And then what do you do for MidTerm

Hi Edgar, no placement for us either. Long term management fees in Los Angeles seem to be around 10%. I always make it a point to emphasize to our new potential owners that they will earn more having us manage their MTR than if they self managed as a LTR. So they get the best of both worlds, extra earnings without needing to be a landlord.

User Stats

Votes
Julian Broyles
  • Phoenix, AZ
Votes |
  • Phoenix, AZ
Replied Apr 24 2024, 16:30
Quote from @Allen Duan:

Hey there brother! Do you guys work with MTR in Phoenix and surrounding Metro area Arizona? And what are the longest terms least or rent?

User Stats

Votes
Allen Duan
Pro Member
  • Property Manager
  • Los Angeles, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Property Manager
  • Los Angeles, CA
Replied Apr 25 2024, 11:29
Quote from @Julian Broyles:
Quote from @Allen Duan:

Hey there brother! Do you guys work with MTR in Phoenix and surrounding Metro area Arizona? And what are the longest terms least or rent?

Hey Julian! We don't serve the Phoenix area as of now. But if you're in need of a quality MTR manager, I can tap into my network and find you someone. Are you asking about longest MTR stays? We've had one for over a year, but that's very rare. Most MTR bookings are no more than 6 months.

User Stats

Votes
Julian Broyles
  • Phoenix, AZ
Votes |
  • Phoenix, AZ
Replied Apr 25 2024, 12:50

That would be terrific. Do you know if there's a company that rents by the room for midterms? I've only spoken with two companies that work with housing for one person and the property that I'm looking to obtain is a three bed