User Stats

Votes
Danny Sanchez
Votes |
Down Payment Assistance on Multi Family Property

Danny Sanchez
Posted Feb 7 2024, 18:37

Hello everyone, 

I want to hear everyones opinions on using downpayment assistance programs for a multi family investment. I know that nothing is free, and that some programs require you to pay the DPA loan back before you move out but what else is there to have in mind that I should know about. What is something you don't recommend or do recommend?

User Stats

Votes
Andrew Postell
Lender
Pro Member
#1 Creative Real Estate Financing Contributor
  • Lender
  • Fort Worth, TX
Votes |
Lender
Pro Member
#1 Creative Real Estate Financing Contributor
  • Lender
  • Fort Worth, TX
Replied Feb 7 2024, 19:11

@Danny Sanchez most downpayment assistance programs won't provide assistance on a 2-4 unit property.  The thing I would encourage you to do here is to speak with your realtor about what lenders offer DPA or First Time Homebuyer grants.  And then interview those lenders on what programs are even available in your market for 2-4 unit properties.  There might not be any.  But reach out locally and see if there's any option at all.

Guaranteed Rate Logo

User Stats

Votes
Amanda McKee
  • Realtor
  • Minnesota
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Minnesota
Replied Feb 8 2024, 19:29

Hey @Danny Sanchez, down payment assistance is extremely common and a great resource, especially the Minnesota Housing program! I am an investor and realtor in MN and would definitely take advantage of it given the opportunity.  I would recommend chatting with a knowledgeable lender who can help you understand all the options and weigh the pros and cons.  Good luck!

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Jeff Schemmel
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Saint Paul, MN
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Saint Paul, MN
Replied Feb 9 2024, 08:00

@Danny Sanchez I had a client close last month who paid $1,200 cash to own his $300k home.  He used DPA, and he essentially has a small 2nd mortgage covering the cash he couldn't bring to the table.  My personal opinion is that it should be avoided unless the DPA is a "grant" and not a 2nd mortgage which is much rarer and harder to get.

Here are the main thoughts I speak to clients about

1.) You likely have to live there longer and/or plan to use it as a rental property (assuming the revenue is high enough) because you're starting at zero equity. You literally CAN'T sell for at least 3-5 years because you wouldn't have enough to pay the fees associated with selling a conventional way, nor would it have been worth it for you to do so. For that reason, you should love the location you buy in. I have seen this get ugly for people who end up being forced to move/sell and take a deep loss or struggle to FSBO because they can't pay commissions.

2.) You may end up paying a higher interest rate on a higher payment.  That's just how it works when you can't put skin in the game so to speak.

• Real Estate Agent Minnesota (#40733743)

Jeff Schemmel - Brix Real Estate Logo

User Stats

Votes
Danny Sanchez
Votes |
Replied Feb 9 2024, 09:11
Quote from @Jeff Schemmel:

@Danny Sanchez I had a client close last month who paid $1,200 cash to own his $300k home.  He used DPA, and he essentially has a small 2nd mortgage covering the cash he couldn't bring to the table.  My personal opinion is that it should be avoided unless the DPA is a "grant" and not a 2nd mortgage which is much rarer and harder to get.

Here are the main thoughts I speak to clients about

1.) You likely have to live there longer and/or plan to use it as a rental property (assuming the revenue is high enough) because you're starting at zero equity. You literally CAN'T sell for at least 3-5 years because you wouldn't have enough to pay the fees associated with selling a conventional way, nor would it have been worth it for you to do so. For that reason, you should love the location you buy in. I have seen this get ugly for people who end up being forced to move/sell and take a deep loss or struggle to FSBO because they can't pay commissions.

2.) You may end up paying a higher interest rate on a higher payment.  That's just how it works when you can't put skin in the game so to speak.

Hi Jeff,

Thank you for the reply. All this is good information and great to have in mind. What I want to avoid is staying stuck and not being able to move because of DPA. My goal is to get a deal where most of my mortgage is paid by tenants and I am able to pay off the DPA back within a year so I can move and get another house hack (sounds simple but I know it will not be like that). When you say the DPA grants are harder and rarer to find, why is that and where am I able to find something like that and how does it work?

User Stats

Votes
Jeff Schemmel
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Saint Paul, MN
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Saint Paul, MN
Replied Feb 9 2024, 09:17

@Danny Sanchez Yes househacking has been great for me; one of the best financial decisions I've ever made.  If you are more profit-oriented, co-living might be the way to go.  I have a friend who's been quite successful with it, and my first househack was a co-living situation.  As you get further along in your journey, you can start to get more comfortable and give yourself your own unit.  

The best way to understand/find DPA programs is to talk to some great lenders.  Let me know if you'd like to chat and I can connect you directly.

• Real Estate Agent Minnesota (#40733743)

Jeff Schemmel - Brix Real Estate Logo

User Stats

Votes
Danny Sanchez
Votes |
Replied Feb 9 2024, 13:05

Would love that. Reach out via DM.

User Stats

Votes
Ryan Thomson#1 House Hacking Contributor
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Colorado Springs, CO
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Colorado Springs, CO
Replied Feb 12 2024, 15:10

@Danny Sanchez I encourage clients in Colorado Springs to use these programs all the time. It is FREE money. 0% interest loans that you only have to pay back when you sell the property or refinance. There is no better way to reduce the amount of cash you are risking to get into a multifamily property.  I would highly encourage leveraging a DPA program. 

House Hack Colorado Springs Logo

User Stats

Votes
Tim Swierczek
Lender
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Saint Paul, MN
Votes |
Lender
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Saint Paul, MN
Replied Feb 15 2024, 11:52

@Danny Sanchez you are allowed to pay off the remaining DPA balance to move, so a DPA loan to start may be the best way to lock in today's price, and then continue to live frugally until you save enough to pay off the DPA portion, or wait until you can refi and pay it off. I agree that it's not ideal to use if you don't need it but when rates decrease today's price will look cheap and you will regret waiting to purchase.  DM me if you want to get coffee & chat.

• Lender Arizona (#103522), Colorado (#103522), New Jersey (#103522), Florida (#103522), Wisconsin (#103522), Minnesota (#103522), Tennessee (#103522), and Texas (#103522)

The Tim Swierczek Team - Gold Star Mortgage Logo

User Stats

Votes
Isaiah Lopez-Torres
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Cincinnati, OH
Votes |
  • Cincinnati, OH
Replied Feb 15 2024, 15:52
Quote from @Danny Sanchez:

Hello everyone, 

I want to hear everyones opinions on using downpayment assistance programs for a multi family investment. I know that nothing is free, and that some programs require you to pay the DPA loan back before you move out but what else is there to have in mind that I should know about. What is something you don't recommend or do recommend?

Definitely look into your states DPA programs. Ohio has the OHFA DPA which provides either 2.5% or 5% down assistance. There is a slightly higher rate with it and you have to pay back the assistance if you Refi or sell with this program. Your state might have a similar program.

My lender was able to ulitize the DPA for a four family I am trying to house hack. Good luck!

User Stats

Votes
Benjamin Sulka#3 House Hacking Contributor
  • Cleveland, OH
Votes |
Benjamin Sulka#3 House Hacking Contributor
  • Cleveland, OH
Replied Feb 15 2024, 17:15
Quote from @Isaiah Lopez-Torres:

Hello everyone, 

Definitely look into your states DPA programs. Ohio has the OHFA DPA which provides either 2.5% or 5% down assistance. There is a slightly higher rate with it and you have to pay back the assistance if you Refi or sell with this program. Your state might have a similar program.

My lender was able to ulitize the DPA for a four family I am trying to house hack. Good luck!

Isaiah, 

That is awesome. I'm an Ohioan as well and I'd love to hear more about your experience with that program! 

User Stats

Votes
Isaiah Lopez-Torres
  • Cincinnati, OH
Votes |
  • Cincinnati, OH
Replied Feb 15 2024, 18:35
Quote from @Benjamin Sulka:
Quote from @Isaiah Lopez-Torres:

Hello everyone, 

Isaiah, 

That is awesome. I'm an Ohioan as well and I'd love to hear more about your experience with that program! 

Hey @Benjamin Sulka sent a PM your way with more info!

User Stats

Votes
Julien Jeannot#5 House Hacking Contributor
  • CPA, Real Estate Broker & Investor
  • Seattle & Woodinville, WA
Votes |
Julien Jeannot#5 House Hacking Contributor
  • CPA, Real Estate Broker & Investor
  • Seattle & Woodinville, WA
Replied Feb 16 2024, 15:37

I'd reach out to a lender/broker that knows those type of programs.

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Mason Vitalis
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Minnesota
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Minnesota
Replied Mar 28 2024, 05:24

I just bought a single-family house using down payment assistance and it works great for me! For me it's basically a second mortgage so about $100 is tacked onto my monthly payment because my loan was 5% down. In my opinion it's great for starting out because you don't have to pay so much out of pocket but interest rates are still pretty high so I would recommend making the down payment if you can afford so as to avoid paying more in the long run. Hope this helps!