Skip to content
Ask About A Real Estate Company

User Stats

Votes
Ana Maria
Votes |
Anyone ever bought an investment property through SDIRA Wealth?

Ana Maria
Posted Apr 1 2024, 19:31

I am a first time real estate rental property investor. I recently saw a YT video on SDIRA wealth with Morris invest and called them. I only spoke with one person so far and they scheduled for more information gathering/ rental investment calls from them this upcoming week. The one guy I spoke with said they make money only when they sell to potential investors and they only sell new construction homes that are usually pre-leased to buyers (currently they are building in Texas state and Missouri State). Also I can start with 50K inital investment rest is financed & maintenance will be free for first few years is what he said.

I have seen some very bad reviews for the old Clayton Morris firm but not many reviews for the new Josh Gilmore (josh@sdirawealth) SDIRA wealth firm.

Has anyone done recent business (2023 or 2024) with SDIRA Wealth? Did anyone invest with SDIRA wealth in the past?

Also, I am thinking of investing into real estate via a new Self Directed Roth Solo 401K account due to tax free distributions after age 59 1/2 instead of SEP IRA, any thoughts? Thanks in advance!

User Stats

Votes
Greg Scott
Pro Member
#1 Buying & Selling Real Estate Contributor
  • Rental Property Investor
  • SE Michigan
Votes |
Pro Member
#1 Buying & Selling Real Estate Contributor
  • SE Michigan
Replied Apr 1 2024, 20:15

Unless you have a Roth SDIRA, there are significant downsides to investing in real estate with an IRA. Often times you will pay much more in taxes than if you pulled the money out, paid the taxes and penalty and then started investing in real estate.

For example, with the financing you mentioned, the IRA must pay taxes on the portion of the profit earned by financing. Google the term UBIT.

Tom Wheelwright has a chapter on why you don't want to do this in his book Tax Free Wealth.

User Stats

Votes
Ana Maria
Votes |
Replied Apr 2 2024, 18:37

Thanks Greg for the valuable points about taxes. I do have a Roth IRA but not a Roth SDIRA. Financing seems to be tricky with IRA hence feel that its best to buy with self funding fully. I was thinking to get the Self Directed Roth Solo 401K account due to tax free distributions if self funded through out. All other SDIRA's, 401K's, traditional IRA except Roth IRA and Solo 401K Roth require tax be paid at the retirement age, do correct me if it's not true.

Do you know about the Josh Gilmore (josh@sdirawealth) SDIRA wealth firm?

Many Thanks 

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Harish V.
  • Investor
  • Fremont, CA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Fremont, CA
Replied Apr 3 2024, 19:55
Quote from @Ana Maria:

Thanks Greg for the valuable points about taxes. I do have a Roth IRA but not a Roth SDIRA. Financing seems to be tricky with IRA hence feel that its best to buy with self funding fully. I was thinking to get the Self Directed Roth Solo 401K account due to tax free distributions if self funded through out. All other SDIRA's, 401K's, traditional IRA except Roth IRA and Solo 401K Roth require tax be paid at the retirement age, do correct me if it's not true.

Do you know about the Josh Gilmore (josh@sdirawealth) SDIRA wealth firm?

Many Thanks 

Josh Gilmore, I will not trust. He is one who sold me overpriced house.

although I will say fault is mine as I did not do due deligence. Did not do independent appraisal and independent inspection. But he did pressure me into it. Everything looks good for year or two. Then roof starts falling.

User Stats

Votes
Chris Seveney
Pro Member
#2 All Forums Contributor
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Replied Apr 4 2024, 04:49
Quote from @Ana Maria:

I am a first time real estate rental property investor. I recently saw a YT video on SDIRA wealth with Morris invest and called them. I only spoke with one person so far and they scheduled for more information gathering/ rental investment calls from them this upcoming week. The one guy I spoke with said they make money only when they sell to potential investors and they only sell new construction homes that are usually pre-leased to buyers (currently they are building in Texas state and Missouri State). Also I can start with 50K inital investment rest is financed & maintenance will be free for first few years is what he said.

I have seen some very bad reviews for the old Clayton Morris firm but not many reviews for the new Josh Gilmore (josh@sdirawealth) SDIRA wealth firm.

Has anyone done recent business (2023 or 2024) with SDIRA Wealth? Did anyone invest with SDIRA wealth in the past?

Also, I am thinking of investing into real estate via a new Self Directed Roth Solo 401K account due to tax free distributions after age 59 1/2 instead of SEP IRA, any thoughts? Thanks in advance!

I am not aware of them. As a side note typically I do not use my deferred tax dollars to invest in traditional real estate as the benefits (depreciation etc) are all lost when using a self directed IRA - My guess is build to rent will provide little to no cash flow to build the account - it will all be locked in the property.

User Stats

Votes
Replied Apr 13 2024, 15:19

I’ve had some experience working with SDIRA Wealth, and I must say, they’re a top-notch Build to Rent development team and we have worked with a lot of different teams over the years. If you’re in the market for long-term buy-and-hold new construction properties, they’re definitely worth considering. They are the development team we refer people to the most.

We’ve acquired several properties from them and have been impressed with their pricing and benefits, thanks to the volume they build at. One thing I really appreciate is their emphasis on property visits and providing a due diligence checklist, which is invaluable for new investors.

They won’t sell you a property without your own appraisal and inspection, ensuring peace of mind. Over the years, they’ve developed strong partnerships with tax advisors and wealth advisors, and lately, they’ve been working with some big names in the industry building new construction properties for their investor’s.

Their process and educational resources have been incredibly helpful, and I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend them. Of course, with any public figure involvement, there may be some negative feedback with that person, but from my experience, the SDIRA Wealth building team in general is definitely worth considering.

Based on my experience coaching investors with my husband, who was a realtor many years ago, I strongly advise that, regardless of whom you work with, you meet the team, conduct thorough market research, get an appraisal, schedule an inspection, and also arrange for a site visit. We visited all of our properties we own before purchasing. Armed with this information, carefully evaluate whether the numbers meet your investment objectives before making a decision.

Good Luck!

User Stats

Votes
Marcos A Miranda
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Apr 13 2024, 22:23

Hello, great question as I am considering them too, not specifically looking into using any form of retirement accounts for initial investment though. Besides the terrible reviews dating 3 years and older, and other than Susan Walker's great feedback, is there any other person that has recently done any deals with Morris Invest and/or SDIRA Wealth? I'm really curious to hear from this forum. Thanks 

User Stats

Votes
Replied Apr 14 2024, 07:59

I've been a client of SDIRA Wealth for the past decade, and I echo Susan's sentiments about their exceptional educational offerings and the numerous benefits of accessing new construction build-to-rent properties through them. My tax advisor referred me to them, and I also utilized cost segregation on the properties, which significantly reduced my tax bills. While I've made several investments independently, what sets SDIRA Wealth apart for me is their competitive pricing, focus on new construction, and access to markets with better performance compared to my local area in New York.

User Stats

Votes
Marcos A Miranda
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Apr 15 2024, 01:47

Thank you Johnny. Have you dealt with them in Texas and/or Missouri? If so, are you able to share the specific markets? They claim these are B markets and I saw someone in Reddit mention Lubbock Texas which has mixed neighborhood scores.

User Stats

Votes
Replied Apr 15 2024, 09:53

I’ve invested in two states, including three properties in Texas. It’s important to note that all markets have mixed neighborhoods, so careful consideration of the location is essential.

The advantages of working with SDIRA Wealth is in their extensive market research. They have been developing land and building projects I believe for over 20 year now. They seem to have a great system and I know they spend years before deciding on where to build there projects.

On one of my visits to meet the team they were showing me the many areas in the US they decided not to build or locations that made more sense for higher renter demand. For example they only buy land and build in land lord friendly states.

Before they buy land to build on, they thoroughly analyze key market indicators such as population growth, occupancy rates, job growth, and even prioritize top school districts. I think this approach ensures that every aspect of the chosen location is carefully scrutinized, helping investors make informed decisions. They should provide this information to you before you buy a property. I would recommend getting this level of detail from whoever you buy from.

Understanding the intricacies of the area they’re building in is crucial, as it reflects their intentional selection process. Unlike investing in random properties, their methodical approach ensures that each investment is strategically placed for the best potential. I have personally tried to do this on my own and made this mistake.

Everything my family purchased from them is long term buy and hold. I have also referred many people (mostly business owners) who are looking for ways to lower their taxes with cost segregation to their team. Overall I am happy with them.

User Stats

Votes
Marcos A Miranda
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Apr 16 2024, 18:59

thank you for your thorough feedback.

User Stats

Votes
Costin I.
Pro Member
  • Round Rock, TX
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Round Rock, TX
Replied Apr 16 2024, 22:13

@Ana Maria @Harish V. @Chris Seveney @Marcos A Miranda - you guys are playing with fire - https://www.biggerpockets.com/search?term=clayton+morris

User Stats

Votes
Chris Seveney
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Replied Apr 17 2024, 04:41
Quote from @Costin I.:

@Ana Maria @Harish V. @Chris Seveney @Marcos A Miranda - you guys are playing with fire - https://www.biggerpockets.com/search?term=clayton+morris

I am not investing with them, I was answering the question

User Stats

Votes
Harish V.
  • Investor
  • Fremont, CA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Fremont, CA
Replied Apr 19 2024, 14:14
Quote from @Costin I.:

I alteady played and burned. Just trying to save others who care to be saved.

User Stats

Votes
Replied Apr 19 2024, 18:24

After struggling with local rehab properties in California, I switched to build-to-rent developers and chose a 1031 exchange. My realtor recommended SDIRA Wealth, a company known for its high-volume new builds every year. I was drawn to the accessibility of their projects without needing to be a FUND, along with the extra benefits that come from their large-scale output.

As an investor, my priorities are finding good deals, investing in landlord-friendly markets, and transitioning to new construction properties. SDIRA Wealth delivered on all fronts. I never paid attention to the celebrities they work with.

After eight years of buying new builds with SDIRA Wealth, I recommend joining their waiting list if you’re looking for new construction build-to-rent properties. 

User Stats

Votes
Harish V.
  • Investor
  • Fremont, CA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Fremont, CA
Replied Apr 22 2024, 08:45
Quote from @Marcus Ball:

After struggling with local rehab properties in California, I switched to build-to-rent developers and chose a 1031 exchange. My realtor recommended SDIRA Wealth, a company known for its high-volume new builds every year. I was drawn to the accessibility of their projects without needing to be a FUND, along with the extra benefits that come from their large-scale output.

As an investor, my priorities are finding good deals, investing in landlord-friendly markets, and transitioning to new construction properties. SDIRA Wealth delivered on all fronts. I never paid attention to the celebrities they work with.

After eight years of buying new builds with SDIRA Wealth, I recommend joining their waiting list if you’re looking for new construction build-to-rent properties. 

Is it possible to get address for some properties sold by sdirawealth? Specifically that are not in non disclosure states. That will allow good analysis of sale price appreciation and rental history.

User Stats

Votes
Replied Apr 22 2024, 10:55

@Harish V. In my experience their team will provide everything you need in the state where you’re buying, along with comprehensive support throughout the investment process. This includes all the tools and knowledge to help potential client’s make informed decisions on their new builds.

Beyond guiding us through our investment journey, they also have always offered additional market and property analysis to give us a deeper understanding of the real estate landscape, helping you succeed with confidence. Good Luck checking them out.

User Stats

Votes
Replied Apr 22 2024, 11:18

@Susan Walker that has been my experience as well. 

User Stats

Votes
Harish V.
  • Investor
  • Fremont, CA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Fremont, CA
Replied Apr 23 2024, 07:03

I think they also offer very good referral cash. If you want to go with them will appreciate if you can use me as referral.