Skip to content
Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions

User Stats

Votes
Gab Loo
Votes |
Does anyone own short term rental in Rocklin CA?

Gab Loo
Posted Apr 24 2024, 12:01

Hello everyone,

I own a single-family rental property located in the Rocklin area with the zip code 95677. It has been occupied by tenants for a few years now and it cashflow but not by a lot. Lately, I've been contemplating the idea of venturing into the short-term rental market and I'm considering whether converting this property could be a good start. I've checked out Airbnb listings in my area but only found a few listing. Roseville does has a lot of more listing tho. I also look at data from AirDNA but I'm uncertain about its accuracy for my area.

As this would be my first time doing short-term rental, I would like to gather insights and feedback from the community at BiggerPockets, those who own properties in my area. Since I don't live in Sacramento, I'm curious about the demand for Airbnb in my area. Any guidance or experiences you can share would be greatly appreciated.

User Stats

Votes
Michael Baum
Pro Member
#1 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Olympia, WA
Votes |
Pro Member
#1 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Olympia, WA
Replied Apr 24 2024, 12:50

Hey @Gab Loo. So did you search on VRBO as well? It is important to use both to verify the viability of STRs in an area.

AirDNA can be hit or miss depending on how many rentals are in a specific area, but looking at overall listings on both AirBNB and VRBO can help add to the data points.

You have to ask yourself what would bring folks to Rocklin? Is there a lot of cool stuff to do? There is a reason that there are only a few on AirBNB.

Another thing is that it appears that you are limited to 90 days max as a STR.

Here is the site that talks about running a STR in Rocklin -

EDIT - Still having trouble posting links. They get removed. Here is another attempt.

ssshttps://www.rocklin.ca.us/form/lasting-success-short-term-re...sss

User Stats

Votes
Sara Klaus
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Sacramento, CA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Sacramento, CA
Replied Apr 24 2024, 14:28

I helped a client purchase a property in Roseville (Not Rocklin.. but close) that had an ADU they rented as a mid-term rental. The previous owner exclusively rented to traveling nurses, and they continued to do the same for the first couple of years after purchasing. I may still have their rental data, if you'd like to see it.

The size of your house will make a big difference on your success in Rocklin as well. The clients I've worked with had issues with parties for their larger homes and ended up leaning towards traditional rentals or mid-term. Requiring a longer stay will help decrease your issues with parties. 

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Brooklyn McCarty
Pro Member
  • Investor
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
Replied Apr 25 2024, 03:24

First I would see what the regulations are there especially if there are only a few listings. 

User Stats

Votes
Scott Scoville
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Sacramento, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Sacramento, CA
Replied Apr 25 2024, 08:58

Hey Gab, yeah, STR's are very much location and property specific. Also, there is more volatility in the rental strategy. If you want to go down the STR road, I'd suggest making sure the property pencils as an MTR/LTR as a back plan. I've helped many BP members buy STR's and MTR's in the Roseville/Rocklin area. Be happy to chat over the phone if you'd like. Best of luck.

Scoville Realty & Investments LLC Logo

User Stats

Votes
Gab Loo
Votes |
Replied Apr 26 2024, 09:41

I do apologize for my late reply everyone. Was busy with my 2 years old couldn't get to my laptop

Michael Baum Thank you so much for pointing out 90 days limit. I have been to that page but some how I didn't see that limitation. In that case STR isn't a good fit for Rocklin then. Thank you again!

Sara Klaus I have never thought about mid-term rental in rocklin. I would love to heard what are the demand there. I will dm you my property address

Scott Scoville I will reach out to you today!