General Landlording & Rental Properties

User Stats

Votes
Richard Ma
Votes |
tenant trying to get me in trouble

Richard Ma
Posted Apr 27 2024, 20:02
hi so my tenant filed complaint about the place is unhealthy and now I got a letter from the health department saying I gotta correct the following list. so first complaint is smelly odor from fridge, they told me to fix the odor but my question is isnt it the tenant responsible for their fridge and not me? why I have to help them clean it when its their fault for not cleaning the fridge. next complaint is rodent dropping, I see in the backyard there is whole bunch of rice in the backyard which the tenant did and trying to lure the rodent to come, now that I know they trying to get me in trouble. Do I have a case to kick them out? or i will get in trouble for retaliation?

User Stats

Votes
Theresa Harris
Pro Member
#2 General Landlording & Rental Properties Contributor
Votes |
Pro Member
#2 General Landlording & Rental Properties Contributor
Replied Apr 27 2024, 20:30

Look up your local laws and see what it says about lease renewal.  Get rid of them ASAP.

I'd talk to the city and ask them politely how you are to get rid of the smell from the fridge when it is filled with the tenant's food which is causing the smell.  As for the rodents, call a company and have them come out and deal with it...take photos before and after so if the tenant does something (ie puts out more rice), you can show that the tenant is deliberately doing things to attract rodents.

User Stats

Votes
Henry Lazerow
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Chicago, IL
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Chicago, IL
Replied Apr 28 2024, 05:12

Is this in california? Talk to an attorney ASAP. This tenant probably trying to not pay and stay as long as can. 

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Richard Ma
Votes |
Replied Apr 28 2024, 05:29
Quote from @Henry Lazerow:

Is this in california? Talk to an attorney ASAP. This tenant probably trying to not pay and stay as long as can. 

nah i think they trying to get money from us, so they trying to do all kinda things. I already got a letter from rent board saying i told them to leave which is false. yes this is SF,CA. people wonder why rent is expensive in sf its because landlord like us always get screwed by these tenant.

User Stats

Votes
Henry Lazerow
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Chicago, IL
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Chicago, IL
Replied Apr 28 2024, 05:32

What was their credit scores? I think will be extremely difficult for then to get money out of you but may be easy to get a free stay and claim any eviction attempts are retaliatory. 

User Stats

Votes
Richard Ma
Votes |
Replied Apr 28 2024, 05:33
Quote from @Theresa Harris:

Look up your local laws and see what it says about lease renewal.  Get rid of them ASAP.

I'd talk to the city and ask them politely how you are to get rid of the smell from the fridge when it is filled with the tenant's food which is causing the smell.  As for the rodents, call a company and have them come out and deal with it...take photos before and after so if the tenant does something (ie puts out more rice), you can show that the tenant is deliberately doing things to attract rodents.

ya we planning to call the health inspec saying the fridge is their to use but if they make it dirty and smelly we cant control that and its their responsibility. Ima hire a pest control to look into this and point the rice to them and see what they have to say, if their report say the rodent cause is from the rice ima add that to the attorney.

User Stats

Votes
Richard Ma
Votes |
Replied Apr 28 2024, 05:36
Quote from @Henry Lazerow:

What was their credit scores? I think will be extremely difficult for then to get money out of you but may be easy to get a free stay and claim any eviction attempts are retaliatory. 

my parent never checked their score, i think they trying to use the health inspec to say its unsafe to live there and unhealthy and we have to pay them relocation fee.

User Stats

Votes
Nathan Gesner
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
ModeratorReplied Apr 28 2024, 06:00
Quote from @Richard Ma:

Document everything! If the tenant is doing anything that attracts the mice, they can and should be held responsible. Yes, they should be responsible for the refrigerator. Inspect the property to determine what is causing these problems and document what the tenant is doing to cause them.

Your lease should include a statement that the tenant is responsible for ordinary pest control. If it doesn't, add it for future tenants.
  • Property Manager Wyoming (#12599)

American West Realty & Management Logo

User Stats

Votes
Olivia Grabka
Pro Member
  • Property Manager
  • Leominster, MA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Property Manager
  • Leominster, MA
Replied Apr 28 2024, 11:15

@Richard Ma

1. Comply with the order from the City, or you are likely to face fines

2. You cannot kick them out; cities have reasonable standards for issuing citations, so you have a problem

3. Sounds like you may need a new fridge - the city isn't issuing a citation because the tenants are dirty, they are issuing a citation because they suspect there is an underlying material cause beyond use

4. Get a pest control company out & make sure they are licensed, otherwise, the city won't back down

If you attempt to kick them out now, you are likely to look retaliatory, which is always a problem.

Tackle the issues and be more active on site for the balance of their tenancy; the more they see you, the fewer problems you are likely to have. Last, issue a written non renewal notice 60 - 90 days before the end of their term and provide a legitimate reason. Call them after you issue the notice and let them know that you appreciated their stay, but that for a variety of factors that are cited in the notice you need to move in a different direction.

None of this is personal for you, this is just about your asset; act accordingly.

User Stats

Votes
Richard Ma
Votes |
Replied Apr 28 2024, 14:50
Quote from @Olivia Grabka:

@Richard Ma

1. Comply with the order from the City, or you are likely to face fines

2. You cannot kick them out; cities have reasonable standards for issuing citations, so you have a problem

3. Sounds like you may need a new fridge - the city isn't issuing a citation because the tenants are dirty, they are issuing a citation because they suspect there is an underlying material cause beyond use

4. Get a pest control company out & make sure they are licensed, otherwise, the city won't back down

If you attempt to kick them out now, you are likely to look retaliatory, which is always a problem.

Tackle the issues and be more active on site for the balance of their tenancy; the more they see you, the fewer problems you are likely to have. Last, issue a written non renewal notice 60 - 90 days before the end of their term and provide a legitimate reason. Call them after you issue the notice and let them know that you appreciated their stay, but that for a variety of factors that are cited in the notice you need to move in a different direction.

None of this is personal for you, this is just about your asset; act accordingly.

but isnt it the tenant that should be buying a new fridge? so as a landlord i have to supply a working fridge for tenant too?

User Stats

Votes
Melanie Thomas
Property Manager
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Broker
  • San Antonio
Votes |
Property Manager
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Broker
  • San Antonio
Replied Apr 29 2024, 13:31

My recommendation is to get a vendor to access and provide a written report, go from there based on findings. I am sorry you are dealing with this. Would be curious to see what your lease says about pests/rodents. Good luck & happy investing!