• Financial Advisor
  • Houston, TX
Votes |
Seeking Advice: Expert in STR Seeking Financial Partnerships

Dexter Crawford
  • Financial Advisor
  • Houston, TX
Posted Apr 11 2024, 16:00

With the level of knowledge and resources I have, I bring a high level of expertise.  I bring knowledge, time, and deal opportunities to the table. However, due to recent divorce, lacking credit and finances holds me back from making significant moves solo. Any advice or insights on finding financial partners or unlocking access to resources in the Houston area?

Appreciate any guidance you can offer.

User Stats

Votes
Mike Grudzien
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Eugene, OR
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Eugene, OR
Replied Apr 11 2024, 16:37

Dexter,

What are you trying to accomplish?  What are you bringing to the table and what do you need?

Mike

User Stats

Votes
Dexter Crawford
  • Financial Advisor
  • Houston, TX
Votes |
  • Financial Advisor
  • Houston, TX
Replied Apr 11 2024, 17:10

Mike,

Thanks for asking.

What am I trying to accomplish:

- I'd like to be in position to close RE deals in the Houston area - STR, LTR, and flip and flip

What do I bring to the table:

- Knowledge and expertise in the space of RE; first fix-n-flip was 2011; last one was 2022; I started in the furnished housing market in 2016

- My self-employed and free flight benefits give me the flexibility I need to move around as needed globally

- Network - My mentor is a former basketball player, and through him and many other resources, I've made many valuable connections over the past 15 years.

- Creative finance solutions 

- I co-manage a startup accounting firm

- I'm well versed in all things finance/funding related - taxes, bookkeeping, credit/credit           repair, business credit management and building. 

- Day trader since 2017 - well versed in the markets, including cryptocurrency.

- Business solutions knowledge - I have a 20 year background in IT.  So I take all my               experience finance, IT, and RE to make decent decisions for myself and clients.

What do I need:

- In short, cash - an equity partner. A go-to partnership that I can rely on to get us to the closing table. I can manage the deal, and get us out of the deal (if we're flipping). If we're buying an holding, I have a few non-traditional cashout resources as well under my "creative finance" playbook.

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Michael Baum
Pro Member
#2 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Olympia, WA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Olympia, WA
Replied Apr 11 2024, 17:22

Hey @Dexter Crawford, this really belongs in the classifieds section. You will get more traction there.

User Stats

Votes
Dexter Crawford
  • Financial Advisor
  • Houston, TX
Votes |
  • Financial Advisor
  • Houston, TX
Replied Apr 11 2024, 18:24

I will check into that! Thank you.

User Stats

Votes
Brooklyn McCarty
Pro Member
  • Investor
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
Replied Apr 12 2024, 05:31

I'm sure there are fb groups for co hosting - you could try there. But if you are gonna co - host make sure you do it the right way, co host is a simple term for property manager

User Stats

Votes
Dan Thomas
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Bow, NH
Votes |
  • Bow, NH
Replied Apr 12 2024, 05:41

@Dexter Crawford

You bring a network developed over 15 years... why not leverage that?

I often feel uncomfortable asking people I know to invest with me but the reality is that if the deal you are bringing them really is a deal you are going to be making them money.

Seems to me you might have the answer right in front of you. Even if they are not the right person to invest with you they each have their own networks and might be able to make connections for you.

User Stats

Votes
Dexter Crawford
  • Financial Advisor
  • Houston, TX
Votes |
  • Financial Advisor
  • Houston, TX
Replied Apr 12 2024, 06:01

@Dan Thomas Thanks for asking that question; it's a great one. And I agree with you 100%. I'm looking to do business in Houston as I live here now. But I was born and raised in Chicago. I'm engaging old connects and making new ones simultaneously. The new connects I'm looking to make would be other experts and investors in the Houston-land areas. I hope that makes sense and answers your question.

User Stats

Votes
Dan Thomas
  • Bow, NH
Votes |
  • Bow, NH
Replied Apr 12 2024, 06:25

@Dexter Crawford

It answers my question, not sure that it makes sense to me. A good deal is a good deal no matter where it is located especially for an equity partner. Why does the investor need to be located in your area? What value does that bring? Seems to me that you are limiting your potential.

User Stats

Votes
Mike Grudzien
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Eugene, OR
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Eugene, OR
Replied Apr 12 2024, 07:13
Quote from @Dexter Crawford:

Mike,

Thanks for asking.

What am I trying to accomplish:

- I'd like to be in position to close RE deals in the Houston area - STR, LTR, and flip and flip

What do I bring to the table:

- Knowledge and expertise in the space of RE; first fix-n-flip was 2011; last one was 2022; I started in the furnished housing market in 2016

- My self-employed and free flight benefits give me the flexibility I need to move around as needed globally

- Network - My mentor is a former basketball player, and through him and many other resources, I've made many valuable connections over the past 15 years.

- Creative finance solutions 

- I co-manage a startup accounting firm

- I'm well versed in all things finance/funding related - taxes, bookkeeping, credit/credit           repair, business credit management and building. 

- Day trader since 2017 - well versed in the markets, including cryptocurrency.

- Business solutions knowledge - I have a 20 year background in IT.  So I take all my               experience finance, IT, and RE to make decent decisions for myself and clients.

What do I need:

- In short, cash - an equity partner. A go-to partnership that I can rely on to get us to the closing table. I can manage the deal, and get us out of the deal (if we're flipping). If we're buying an holding, I have a few non-traditional cashout resources as well under my "creative finance" playbook.

Dexter,
I'm a stickler for "defining the ask".  You knocked it out of the park!  That was one of the best described background, situation and opportunity posts I've seen.  You are spot on.  I'm going to keep following you because I believe that you are going places!
Keep doing what you are doing,
Mike

User Stats

Votes
Andrew Steffens
Pro Member
  • Tampa, FL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Tampa, FL
Replied Apr 12 2024, 07:25
Quote from @Dexter Crawford:

With the level of knowledge and resources I have, I bring a high level of expertise.  I bring knowledge, time, and deal opportunities to the table. However, due to recent divorce, lacking credit and finances holds me back from making significant moves solo. Any advice or insights on finding financial partners or unlocking access to resources in the Houston area?

Appreciate any guidance you can offer.

When I was starting out, I used equity partners.  Not the best deal as they tend to do nothing but put up money and typically take half, but it is better than nothing.  I would network locally with financial advisors, RE investor meetups etc.  Bring "deals" with you not just your resume essentially.  Best of luck!

User Stats

Votes
Dexter Crawford
  • Financial Advisor
  • Houston, TX
Votes |
  • Financial Advisor
  • Houston, TX
Replied Apr 12 2024, 07:35

Makes sense.

User Stats

Votes
Dexter Crawford
  • Financial Advisor
  • Houston, TX
Votes |
  • Financial Advisor
  • Houston, TX
Replied Apr 12 2024, 07:41

Thanks @Mike Grudzien

Rent To Retirement logo
Rent To Retirement
|
Sponsored
Turnkey Rentals 12+ States. SFR, MF & New Builds, High ROI! 3.99% rates, 5% down loans, below market prices across the US! Txt REI to 33777